Monday, May 24, 2010

Trip Knits

I'm going to England for a few weeks at the end of June. I'm trying to figure out what to knit with me. Since I'll be going overseas, I don't want to bring lots of yarn, but I want to make sure I have enough to keep me knitting while there. I think my solution is going to be the cobweb lace yarn, but one of those shawls is for my sister, and I want it to be a surprise. And the other(s) aren't started, but I have 7 projects on my needles at the moment. I think I'm finding having 7 projects on my needles to be silly and difficult to manage, so my goal is to finish three of them by the time I take the trip. Hopefully, if I finish three of them, I'll feel ok casting on one more to take with me.

I'm *almost* finished with falling upward leaves shawl. My more recent ball of yarn turned my bamboo needles purple, and I'm worried that means it'll bleed onto the lighter shades. Cold rinses, I suppose, and then if that doesn't work I've been told vinegar and salt rinse. I'm pretty sure my malabrigo sock did the same thing to my needles, except it turned them green. I'm wondering if eventually I'll have harmony-shaded needles.

On to the weekly meme!

Current WIP(s):
1. Yellow wavy baby blanket (Yarn: Bernat Baby Coordinates)
2. Purple leaves shawl (Yarn: Knit Picks Palette)
3. Purple baby blanket shawl (Yarn: Caron One Pound)
4. Purple seascape Stole (Yarn: Jojoland Harmony)
5. Blue citron shawl (Yarn: Katia Eco Cotton)
6. Irish Diamond shawl (Yarn: Malabrigo Sock)
7. Thick triangle shawl (Yarn: Lion Brand Chenille Thick and Quick)

Total Progress:
1. 21.5" long (36.5" wide, or so. Only 15 more inches to go, maybe?)
2. 11 leaves vertically, 21 leaves along the edge. Unblocked: 37" spine.
3. 8" long (14" wide) No progress this week.
4. ALMOST 1 iteration of chart B complete! (Unblocked: 8.5" long, 20" wide)
5. Middle of second section. No progress this week.
6. Garter border complete. This shawl is part of a knit along with a friend, and will only show progress every two weeks.
7. 10" spine

Weekly Progress:
1. None
2. 4 leaves vertically, 7 leaves along the edge. Unblocked: 17" spine.
3. None
4. None
5. None
6. None
7. 6" spine

Goal(s) from last week:
(Completed goals are italicized)
1. Actually work on it this week. Finish the current skein of the baby blanket and start the next.
2. Finish one more full leaf--24 rows
3. Increase 1-2 pattern repeats. I'm mostly hibernating this one, but I don't want to lose track of it.
4. Finish Chart B once and begin the second iteration.
5. Finish section 2.
6. No progress
7. This one is meant for when I'm barely awake, rather than with an actual completion in mind, so no goal for this one. We'll just see how it goes.

Goal(s) for next week:
Bolded goal is priority.
1. If I finishe upward leaves, progress on this one. See about finishing that ball.
2. Finish the shawl (one more ball of yarn; 2-3 more leaves, plus border). This should be do-able.
3. Increase 1-2 pattern repeats. I'm mostly hibernating this one, but I don't want to lose track of it.
4. Finish Chart B once and begin the second iteration.
5. Finish section 2.
6. Hopefully my KAL partner is caught up, and we can start the first lace section.
7. Any increase is success here.

What new thing(s) have I learned?:
1. Colors bleed, and bamboo picks up the colors.
2. 7 projects are difficult to work on all at once.
3. Smaller yarns take longer to knit. Yes, this is a duh. But I realize it more and more each day.

Which project makes me happiest?:
Upward Leaves is progressing very very very well, and I'm excited to finish it, hopefully by the end of the month. I'm even half excited to block it.

No comments:

Post a Comment